Old December 26th 03, 07:43 PM
Telamon

In article ,
"Dave" wrote:

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"Dale Parfitt" wrote:

"donutbandit" wrote in message
"Dave" wrote in
:

I just got through picking up a ton of discontinued wire from my
local Home Depot, and was planning on building a "broomstick"
antenna like some I found described on the net.

I built one. I was quite disappointed after reading all the hype.

I get better reception from a wire run around the corners of my
bedroom ceiling.

I would not anticipate the broomstick antenna to be any different than
a metal tube or rod of similar dimensions.

Good comparison. A tightly wound broomstick would resemble a rod for
receiving purposes.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Still true, even if each turn of wire is insulated from those adjacent to
it? How could that be?

At RF frequencies the coils are shorted electrically because there is a
lot of capacitance between them. It won't work much better than a piece
of metal the same size. Coils can be useful as part of an antenna if the
turns are farther apart but as an element to pick up RF energy from the
air medium it will work poorly.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California