Old June 22nd 04, 05:10 AM
Jack Painter

"Sylvan Butler" wrote in message

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
You don't need to worry about wetting it or adding conductive agents to

the
soil unless you have lightening storms when the ground is dry. Although

live in the desert, I don't. When there is a lightening risk, the ground

is
damp.

Not in Idaho. That last several thunderstorms by me have all been dry.

sdb

In all but the sandiest soils, it could takes hours and hours of steady
rainfall to soak the ground more than a few inches. While good bonding is
arguably much more important than chasing a few ohms of earth ground
resistance, a dry hole is not much use as a ground point. I chose three of
my four (main) station ground points where it is always wet in the
thunderstorm season: the electric service ground and a bonding rod near it
are next to the HVAC condensate drain. A third one is next to a fish pond in
a naturally low and wet area. And the fourth main ground point has to be
watered and salted. To our poster in Alaska, I would suggest asking the
Electric company how they obtain good grounding in your particular area. And
then make sure you bond whatever system you sink in the ground to theirs as
well.

Best regards,

Jack Painter
Virginia Beach, VA