Old December 30th 03, 09:12 AM
Steve Silverwood

In article U4bEb.102677$bC.28176@clgrps13,
says...
I am trying to get started in shortwave, but I'm having trouble coming
out of the chute. I recently dusted off a 13 year old stereo and
discovered that it was also a shortwave receiver. It is a Sony model
FH-E727CD that combined CD/Cassette/Radio in an apartment style
enclosure. I tried hooking up the speakers and antenna and I can get
the local AM and FM stations just fine, but I can't get any SW at all.
I live in Calgary and according to several web sites there is a
station just south of hear that transmits at 6030 (eg
http://www.mindspring.com/~ttmdoc/canadianchallange.htm ), but I can't
hear anything decipherable; just noise. I have a small loop antenna
that came with the radio. If I disconnect the antenna I get absolutely
nothing; but with the antenna connected I get background noise on all
frequencies. So, what should I try next to get more stations?

I would start by putting a longer-wire antenna on the receiver, and
putting it outside if at all possible. As a rule of thumb: the higher
the antenna, and the longer the wire, the better your reception will be.

--

-- //Steve//

Steve Silverwood, KB6OJS
Fountain Valley, CA
Email:

Please visit the following sites:

American Shortwave Listening Club (ASWLC)

Southern California Area DXers
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/scads