Old August 16th 03, 02:34 AM
Reg Edwards

Dear "Savage",

To use the american two-letter word - Hi!

There's insufficient info to deduce when and where we may have met in our
previous lives. But I can confirm I am a long retired GPO engineer fortunate
enough to escape just before Mrs T and Co. sold us off to the
asset-stripping multi-national wolves.

Although I occasionally make (I hope humorously intended) criticisms of the
contributions by frequenters of this newsgroup, there is no doubt about the
group's high entertainment and, indeed, educational value, I have been a
beneficiary and so become addicted to it.

I can't deny the benefit of a 20dB attenuator in seies with the aerial when
assessing propagation conditions. But this is only because of imperfections
which still remain in the AGC circuitry. They remain only because of the
cost of improving receivers to the state when they can be considered to be
received power level meters and calibrated in terms of dB relative to one
microwatt.

Roy can then cease insisting that his own S-meter is the Western-world's
standard of how many decibels are equivalent to one S-unit.
----
Reg, G4FGQ