Old June 22nd 04, 04:44 PM
David Harper

Default Scanner sensitivity and path loss?

I was wondering what's an accurate estimate for scanner sensitivity?
I've got a Uniden BC180, and the owner's manual doesn't list that
information. I was wondering what a good value would be to use in
order to do some path loss calculations. I've heard 1.0 uv is a good
conservative estimate. Is this too low?

As a second question, what's the approximate margin needed to make out
audio? I've heard for data 20dB margin has a link reliability of
99.9%, and 30dB margin yields 99.99%. I imagine to make out audio
without too much difficulty, it'd be much less.

Thanks in advance for any insight!
Dave