Old December 31st 03, 04:50 AM
Tony Meloche

Hi David:

The good news is that you are really learning to *listen* and use
that radio. You are gaining invaluable experience. There is really no
bad news, but you should be aware of a few things - see the intersperse
with your list below:

Just since Christmas I have been able to listen to:

Voice of America
the BBC
Radio France International
Radio Switzerland International
Germany
The Netherlands
the voice of Vietnam (yes Vietnam!!!)

That broadcast was coming from a relay transmitter in Sackville, N.B.
Canada. Easy catch in New Hampshire.

China

Quite possibly from China! But they also have relay transmissions
from many other locales, including Havana and (you guessed it)
Sackville, CA.

Radio Canada International

Bulgaria

Good one! That was almost certainly from Bulgaria, or Europe at the very
least - I don't think they have any relay broadcasts in N. America.

Spain

May have been from Noblejas, Spain, may have been from Sackville,
again.

Australia

Good catch! On any radio, at any time! I don't think that they
(yet) have any relay in N. America, though I heard they are planning
one.

I have heard the above stations in English, French, german, and spanish.
Other languages are probably heard as well.but at least I can identify
these.

Keep in mind that almost any country you can name has a daily
broadcast in almost any *languarge* you can name! Pick a country, pick
a language, and odds are they have a broadcast daily in that language.
Makes it confusing, doesn't it? But also more interesting!

I have heard far away places like Vietnam and china and Japan at times
clearer than closer places like France or BBC. Hmmm.

Ah . . see coments under "Sackville, Canada" above ;)

Now.. personally...I think this is pretty darned good!! I am personally
quite satisfied with this radio.

For someone who just got a SW radio, it's excellent - you are off to
a great start, and I mean that. Did you see the post I made about Mark
Fine's program called RLDB? You *NEED* that program, Dave!!

I wonder..what would be the advantage of a radio costing a couple hundred
more? I mean.. in terms of what one could get and how well?

Coupled with a decent longwire or random wire antenna? Stations from
the hills in Paraguay with a power of 1,000 watts coming directly to
your home (on a good night). That's one of dozens of examples I could
give. Your post shows you're "learning the ropes" very nicely! But
there is challenge and excitement
of the "catch" out there that you will not be able to approach with your
current radio/antenna setup. But for right now, I think it's the
perfect radio for you. You "grow" into a better one, ideally. And if
your interest is highest for listening to broadcasts of the world's "big
boys" (fascinating enough in itself) you may never need another radio
than the Yacht Boy.

Keep in touch . .

Tony