Old December 31st 03, 01:24 PM
Tracey Fort

Thanks for all the attic antenna ideals. There is also lots of good
info in the yahoo groups. I should of looked there before wasting
everybody's time. I have my work cut out for me this weekend. I willl
also have an antenna that the wife won't complain about!

Tracy

On 28 Dec 2003 23:44:38 -0800, (RHF) wrote:

TF,

A Compilation "In-the-ATTIC" Antennas

1. Here are some Ideas about an "In-the-ATTIC" Antenna.

* Transforming the "ATTIC" Random Wire Antenna to a Loop
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SWL-AM...na/message/385

* Receiving Only Random Length Antenna: Open End vs Loop ?

* In-the-Attic "Conical Loop Antenna" (Folded SkyWire)

* Attic Electrical Wiring and Noise = Think Horizontal Loop Antenna
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SWL-AM...na/message/233

2. What you are missing in your basic Idea about using a Loop
Antenna in the Attic and Coax Cable Lead-in-Line is a Matching
Transformer (BALUN).

* Two Reasons to use a Balun (Matching Transformer)
with a Receive Only Antenna
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SWL-AM...na/message/150

* SkyWire Loop Antenna Balun (Baluns in General)

* Am I Missing Something ? ? ? YES a Matching Transformer ! ! !

* Ground Required At Balun ? (In-the-Attic Antenna Grounding)

3. In the PHOTO Section of the SWL Antennas and AM & FM
Antennas eGroup is a Folder for "In-the-ATTIC" Antennas.

4. Before You Build Your Antenna.... Here Is Something To Read:

5. Check Out these three Loop Antenna eGroups on YAHOO!

* Skywire Loop Antennas
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SkyWires/
= = = About 200 Messages and 100 Members

* K9AY Loop Antenna
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/K9AYloop/
= = = About 800 Messages and 400 Members

* Loop Antenna Information Forum
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/loopantennas/
= = = About 900 Messages and 800 Members

6. Shawn Axelrod's "AMANDX" DX WebSite has a great deal
of Antenna Information for SWLs and HAMs.
See the "Links to the Antenna Articles"
GoTo= http://www.angelfire.com/mb/amandx/index.html
As Shawn Says: REMEMBER ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN HEAR FOREVER

iane ~ RHF
.
.
= = = Tracy Fort
= = = wrote in message . ..

I'd like to put one in my attic for SW reception.

What is the best design?

=R= Loop Antenna
.
.
Is there a good web sitethat someone could point me?

=R= SWL Antennas and AM &FM Antennas eGroup on YAHOO !
.
.
My house is about 60 to 70 ft long and I think a large rectangle
would do a good job.

=R= Yes a Rectangle 'shaped' Loop Antenna is a Good Idea.
.
.
Could you make a large rectangle with both ends terminating
into coax ?

=R= Yes a Rectangle (LOOP) Loop Antenna useing a COax Cable
Lead-in-Line is a Good Idea.
.
.
The shield to one end and the center conductor to the other
or would it be best to run one very long wire clipped to the
antenna of the radio ?

=R= If this was for One Frequency Band and for Transmitting
using the 'direct' Coax Cable to Loop Antenna Element would be
a good Idea.

However, If this is a SWL Antenna that is "Receive ONLY"; then
You Should Be Using A "BALUN" Matching Transformer between the
Loop Antenna Element and the Coax Cable.
?WHY? Using a Balun will give your a SWL Loop Antenna that
works better across all SW Bands.
.
.

Tracy