Old January 1st 04, 07:42 AM
starman

What about a Drake R8B? Cost $1,495, This one have a lot of flaws too,for example the power supply run very hot,[a remedy is to use an external power supply]

The R8(x) transformer runs warmer than some receivers but in no way hot.
I've never heard of any failure of the transformer or associated AC
power supply components. The R75 doesn't have an internal power
transformer. It uses a wall wart, so it's not a fair comparison.

(R8B) ,bassy sound "virtually requieres a outboard speaker" [Passport],

'Passport' was making the point that the R8 requires an external speaker
to fully appreciate it's audio quality but it's not mandatory. IMO- If
any receiver needs an external speaker it's the R75. The OEM speaker
sounds more like a cheap CB radio. The R75 sounds much better with an
external speaker but it's still not as good as an R8, particularly for
program listening.

a cheap mechanical encoder used to have an above -average failure rate [Why not an optical one like in the AOR 7030+]

The original R8 had an optical encoder. Drake says they changed it
because it had problems. Tests by myself and some others on this group
seem to indicate that the factory lubricant in the mechanical encoder is
the problem. After cleaning mine and relubing it with a synthetic
grease, it's been completely reliable for almost two years. I don't know
if Drake has made any changes in the OEM encoder lube in recent models.
The AOR-7030 also had problems with it's tuning encoder in the early
models.

,a lot of birdies and background hiss [from the syntetiser board and some Poor shielding and grounding techniques ect ect ect.....

The early R8B (1997) had more birdies than expected for a receiver in
it's price class. The newer ones (since about 2000) have much fewer
birdies. I had a 97' and now have an 01', so I've heard the difference.

My R75 cost only $450.00 with free DSP included. It have installed 2.4khz,3.3khz,6khz filters,

Those filters are not cheap. Take a look at Universal's website for the
prices.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...rxvr/0175.html

sensitivity mod,339 comparator sync mod,Phidelity mod all this mods
for less than $50.00 and not only "work as advertised" but work better
than a R8B [and others expensive receivers] for dxing.

There is no sync' mod for the R75 that makes it work as well as the
sync' on an R8B.

The Icom R75 does not have QC problems I'm aware of. It does have design
problems and is the reason people have the units modified.

All receivers have design problems.

The design of any receiver is a compromise of cost vs. performance. I
prefer to pay more for a receiver that doesn't need many (if any) mod's,
than to pay less up front and then spend more time and money to get it
working acceptably.

BTW- I guess it was just a matter of time before this subject came
around again. I think it's clear who got it going. This will be my only
reply. I don't care who gets the last word.