Old January 2nd 04, 12:03 AM
Dave

Thanks Tony for yor input on my posting, and thanks to everybody else too
who replied.

I think I will have a listen to Radio Canada International instead . I have
nothing against religion I just choose not to listen to it.

Thanks again.

Dave. (from the UK)

"Tony Meloche" wrote in message

dave wrote:

While checking out the shortwave stations in the States I came across
stations that seem to be doing only one thing and that is to ram
religion down their listeners necks 24/7.
Don't any North American stations apart from VOA have anything else
to say apart from trying to persuade everyone to join the Billy Graham
fan club?
I was hoping to find some stations with a bit more regular topics in
their schedule. Do any of these channels exist over their?

Short answer? Very few. Aside from obvious use by the military, and
air traffic control/aviation weather, the primary purpose of shortwave
in the USA has almost always been broadcasting our views, our "voice",
to the rest of the world. America had a well established AM network
from coast to coast early on.
The VOA and Radio Marti (also originating in the USA) are about it.
There have always been "pirate" stations espousing every view from left
of Jesse Jackson to right of Pat Buchanan, both political and religious
- that's part of shortwave, too. But the FCC a few years ago started
licensing religious broadcasters, and the bottom line there is that
reaching half or most of the USA from within it's borders via shortwave
radio is MUCH cheaper than trying to do it by licensed AM or FM outlet
with a much more limited range. Hence, the proliferaton of religious
broadcasters as American SW stations. Few of them (though maybe a few)
could be considered "mainstream" representation of America at large.
The way that SW is still used in many places in the world - as the basic
"let's-see-what's-on-the-radio" type of thing is almost unknown here -
that's what AM and FM are for, always have been (in the USA, I mean).
Some of the religious broadcasters carry features like "Old Time Radio"
and such, but less and less of that all the time, too. You asked a very
good question. I hope I've been able to give you some insight with my
answer.

Tony

News==----

Newsgroups