Old January 3rd 04, 12:37 AM
Telamon

In article ,
Mark Harper wrote:

In article , k1c2
@hotmail.com once wrote .......
IMHO: It's the R75's Mods that personalize the radio and endears the
R75 to it's owners.
= = = Telamon
= = = wrote in message

Iım not spending hundreds of dollars on a radio that must be modified
to work as advertised.

Why not just simply buy it - and see if you're happy with its performance
?

out of the box, the R-75 receives, and does so very well, its easy to
control, has a very intuitive operating system, and the fact that most of
the fiddly settings are in the menu (where you won't inadvertantly fiddle
with them) means you can use it out the box without reading the manual
(as its default settings are adequate)

the mods are simply to improve its performance, if the user wishes to do
so they're not compulsory - I'm more than happy with my vanilla R-75 -
runs OK for me - I may add the filters, and the DSP at a later date, but
for the moment. it does the job!

I'm glad you are happy with the R75 but I have read the manual and I
don't like the way the controls operate and there is the problem that
the AGC and sync circuits that either don't work or have performance
problems that ICOM will not address so I would be relegated to voiding
the warranty by modifying the radio. I would not be happy with an
unmodified R75 as you are.

The R75 has nothing new in the way of features or performance that I
already have with the other radios I own.

I would not call the way the squelch / RF gain knob operates as
intuitive and from reading the manual it seems to me a novice could
easily get the radio in a condition where nothing would be heard from
it or have the sound grossly distorted.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California