Old June 25th 04, 05:38 AM
Mark Keith

Bob Wood wrote:

Thanks again Mark,

I am currently located in South Central New Mexico and all of the stations
on the net are East and North East of my location. Since FB ratio is not a
concern for me I think your suggestion of an Extended Double Zepp (EDZ)
would work just fine. 0.64 wave on a side would work perfectly since the
0.75 wave per side that I had been considering was really pushing the size
of my back yard. I will have to look into the EDZ but am assuming that the
max radiation pattern would be broadside to the wire which would work
perfectly for me.

Yes. Appx 5.1 dbi in two directions broadside to the wires. Or almost
exactly 3 db over the 1/2 wave dipole.

North-South which would provide the East-West broadside radiation and if it
has any gain over a dipole, I will be ahead for sure. I know that I do not
have enough room on the property to install two elements so I think we will
now shoot for the EDZ and see how it works.

Should do pretty well. Will be appx 84 ft a side. Get it as high as you
can, and preferably set up as a flat top. It will work as as inv vee,
but the gain may drop off a bit. I ran one on 20m one time, and it did
well. One thing about the 40m EDZ.. If you feed with ladder line and a
tuner, it can be used on other bands also. Even 80m should work ok,
being it's longer than a 80m 1/2 dipole. Always use the minimum
inductance needed to get a usable match when tuning the tuner. MK
--
http://web.wt.net/~nm5k