Old June 25th 04, 09:03 AM
Chuck...K1KW

Came home one day in the early fall several years ago and found that many
black birds were sitting on all elements of my top 18E log periodic.
Decided to see what happened so I fired up the linear on 17 M and let out a
full carrier. Looked like at least 1/2 the elements had significant voltage
on them and the birds that didn't fall directly down and landed on the
ground, flew off...for a while, some crashed also...empirical testing of
voltage (power?) distribution....interesting....(:)

Chuck...K1KW

"AA5QT" wrote in message
For the first time in many years, I'm about to put up a 20 meter

monobander on
a tower. The XYL is asking questions I cannot answer, specifically

relating to
RF and birds. I wouldn't want to be a bird sitting on an element when a

KW is
supplied to it? Are my concerns valid?

Gary K5QT