Old January 4th 04, 08:05 PM
Telamon

In article k.net,
"Brian" wrote:

I am using an inverted L random wire that feeds right in through the window
where I have my radio. Was wondering if using coax as the lead in and
running a wire from the braided shield at the feed point to a utility ground
right outside the window would help cut down on the noise that's being
generated by I assume my neighbor and perhaps myself. If so, do I just tape
back the braid and connect the inner wire of the coax to the alligator clip
that I attach to the whip on my dx-398? If you need more info please let me
know. Thanks

It depends. If you have noise sources in the same room or area then yes.
If the area around your radio is RF quiet then no. Chances are these
days it will help if a ground is used that is apart from the utility
ground. The utility ground will be noisy.

Most devices use the utility ground to pass noise in order to pass FCC
specifications. The conducted noise to ground helps prevent devices from
passing this noise on to the hot leads or radiating the noise.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California