Old January 4th 04, 11:27 PM
RHF

BRIAN,

1. Read these three Messages that are posted on the
SWL Antennas and AM & FM Antennas eGroup on YAHOO !

* The Classic simple "Random" Wire Antenna
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SWL-AM...na/message/465

* IMPROVING on the Classic simple "Random" Wire Antenna
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SWL-AM...na/message/466

* Building 9:1 Matching Transformer for the
Improved Classic simple "Random" Wire Antenna
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SWL-AM...na/message/467

2. IIRC - The RadioShack DX-398 (Sangean ATS-909) has both a
Whip Antenna and External Antenna Jack:

* Try connecting the Wire from your Inverted "L" Antenna
to both and see which provides the best results.

* Generally the RadioShack DX-398 has a reputation for being
better using an External Antenna connected via the 1/8" Jack
on the Side of the Radio. This is a Stereo Jack and you should
use a Stereo 1/8" Plug with the End-Tip connected to the External
Antenna Wire and the Rear-Barrel connected to the Ground Wire.
NOTE: The Center-Middle-Barrel of the 1/8" Stereo Plug is NOT Used.

3. Read these Messages posted to the RadioShack DX-398
(Sangean ATS-909) eGroup on YAHOO !

* Antenna Connection for a RadioShack DX-398
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DX398/message/5515

* Antenna Wiring - Help Needed Please for the RadioShack DX-398
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DX398/message/4063

* Diagram of HOW TO WIRE the External Antenna Plug RadioShack DX-398.

* External Antenna Troubles and the RadioShack DX-398
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DX398/message/5939

* MW/LW Reception with External Antenna (Sangean ATS-909)

* RadioShack DX-398 (Sangean ATS-909) External Antenna
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DX398/message/4310

iane ~ RHF
..
..
= = = "Brian"
= = = wrote in message thlink.net...

I am using an inverted L random wire that feeds right in through
the window where I have my radio. Was wondering if using coax as
the lead in and running a wire from the braided shield at the feed
point to a utility ground right outside the window would help cut
down on the noise that's being generated by I assume my neighbor
and perhaps myself. If so, do I just tape back the braid and
connect the inner wire of the coax to the alligator clip that I
attach to the whip on my dx-398? If you need more info please let
me know.

Thanks
Brian

..