Old January 5th 04, 02:42 AM
Kenneth

Telamon wrote in message
"Pete KE9OA" wrote:

I can't comment on some of these receivers, but I can comment on the
AOR7030. Meets its specs? Maybe, but after 1 year of use, some unadvertised
"bonuses" were thrown in. The mode switches have developed bounce problems
which could have easily been addressed in software. The mechanical tuning
encoder has been noisy since day one, sometimes "scanning" the frequencies
on its own. The sensitivity is definitely not on a par with the R75. I don't
care what the unit is specified as; the MDS on the R75 is better. According
to Dave Zantos, the 7030 Plus isn't much better. On his sample unit, the
optical encoder shaft developed a wobble after about one year. His 7030 Plus
had a low level background noise on signals that wasn't present with the
7030. It is suspected that the removal of the shielding from the synthesizer
might be causing the problem.
I do have both the R75 and the AOR7030, and after two years, the R75 has not
had any problems surface.
If the 7030 wasn't a Christmas gift from my wife, I would have sold this
unit a long time ago.

What I find interesting about this discussion is that I can't express my
opinion on the R75 without people responding with complete illogic and
in addition they insist on adding to the meaning of what I wrote.

What? You don't like other refuting your arguments? Pete [owner of
both] is not expresing his oppinion he is talking about a real life
AOR 7030 vs R75 experience.
I made specific and clear reference to what I objected to as design and
not QC problems.

Yes an I made specific and clear reference to the drake and ten tec
340 design problems too.

The cost of another radio has nothing to do with my objections with the
R75.

My point is that price is not synonymous of performance.I have
some savings too and I had the R8b in my shack but I know that with a
good antenna the R75 can pick-up and make inteligible any SW/MW/
signal in the air and in my test outperformed the drake in hardcore
dxing.I think that the R75 low price and nice performance is not good
news to owners of expensive receiver who believed that a low cost
receiver mean poor performance.I remember that the early R75 price was
about $1,100 sometime ago.
So reading between the lines does that mean I think someone is an idiot
for buying this radio. No. The R75 has good things going for it and some
people are willing to overlook my objections or fix them. Fine with me
that's their decision.

Yes very intelligent and knowledgeable people are fixing them an
saving a lot of moneys without sacrifice performance.
The R75 modified or not works well for people that use it in a way that
does not interest me. Modified or not the R75 will not work as well as
the radios I own in the way I use them, which is program listening.

Now your are expressing your personal oppinion an not a tested
scientific fact but I respect it.

don't begin to groan and talk about "zero credibility" if someone
point out your own drake R8B and ten tec 340 receiver faults.

Well Kenneth it you keep on making false statements thatıs what you will
have ³zero credibility.² And it does not help your arguments to redirect
issues either. Try staying on point.

Why not go to passport to world band radio page 158 and read for
yourself the ten tec 340 flaws? What not check the R8b articles and
this group archives reports about others R8B owners postings about the
r8b birdies,synthesizer noise,cheapy encoder,background hiss,filters
shape factors good but not excellent [for a receiver in this price]
ect ect.If I'm wrong then I'm in good company.Who is the one that are
making false statement now? Your only defence is to talk about
credibility but everyone following this treads know that 1 year ago
when I pointed to the internal R8b tranformer heat ,encoder
failures,and synthesizer noise you and others R8B owner start to claim
about credibility issues but now all those guys are running their r8B
with an external power supply,looking for shielding and grounding
techniques for its synthesizer noise and some had problems with the
mechanical encoder.