Old January 5th 04, 04:27 AM
Telamon

In article ,
(D. Kim) wrote:

The reviews I read before purchase did not sing any praises for the
IC-R75s speaker so I had mine shipped directly to Kiwa for the
following mods:

--synchronous detector upgrade
--audio upgrade
--high fidelity audio filter
--R75 filter module

The sound is just fine, though for obvious reasons I can't compare it
now to what is would have sounded like.

The tiny speaker the R75 has can't sound very good. If you are going to
spend the money for those modifications then spend a little more and buy
an external speaker.

That was my intent all along before I actually got it and listened to
it with the mods. Now I'm not really in a hurry as the sounds if
fine. When dx'ng I plug in my Grado SR80 headphones. I find it more
useful to read opinons from ppl who have actually used a product.
Kiwa's synch upgrade is top notch and I second the positive comments
for this mod. Had no qualms with sending my unit directly to Kiwa as
after several e-mails back and forth between Kiwa and iCOM they pretty
much said that the warranty would still be good as long as the mods
were done "cleanly". ymmv.

Can't argue with the logic of putting greater weight behind someonešs
opinion that owns the radio but the small speaker in a metal box just
isn't going to compare a bookshelf speaker or quality headphones. I
think this is a pretty safe assumption to make.

How sure are you about the warranty still being in force? How would Icom
be expected to fix a radio that is modified in some way? This would not
be a safe assumption to make.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California