Old January 5th 04, 04:36 AM
phil :)

hi Neil:

Kiwa offers Pete's MW mod but even without it the R75 MW SSB sensitivity is
2.0 uV [pre-amps OFF]. external noise on MW is ~10 dBuV [3.16 uV]. antenna
is critical on MW: indoors get a Quantum QX loop or build a 34" square box
loop, outdoors a K9AY (need 40' square) or beverages. get an external
speaker; the internal is small and covered with plastic to resist dust
entry.

hi Telamon:

I'm not spending hundreds of dollars on a radio that
must be modified to work as advertised.

no problem. but aren't you this electronics guru? imagine a machine shop
owner buying his car based on stock horsepower while balking at someone
bolting on a supercharger. what can you hear on your RX340 that you cannot
on your R8B? on an R75? please site specific specs. we all know the answer
and that is why the R75 is now one of the best selling tabletops.

hi Starman:

I've never heard of any failure of the transformer or
associated AC power supply components.

strawman argument? there are no failures, there are alignments.

The R75 sounds much better with an external speaker but it's
still not as good as an R8, particularly for program listening.

the modded R75 has fidelity, working SAM, and a better filter for SAM
sideband selection.

There is no sync' mod for the R75 that makes it work as
well as the sync' on an R8B.

says who? the guy who in 2002 said the R75 had "no synchronous selectable
sideband" then in 2004 said DUH "synchronous selectable sideband actually
being somewhat functional". the guy who in 2003 could not get a Kiwa modded
R75 to review but in 2004 sited "exceptionally fast turnaround"? the guy
who stated "added crispness marginally improves audio" but got the wrong
audio mod? the guy who "forgot" the "1/2" on the Kiwa modded R75's rating?

I prefer to pay more for a receiver that doesn't need many
(if any) mod's, than to pay less up front and then spend
more time and money to get it working acceptably.

spend time doing what? the work has already been done. you send Kiwa a
radio and an $80 check. who knows, maybe 2004 will be the year you fix the
R8B's synthesizer with encoder lubricant.

regards,
phil