Old June 23rd 04, 06:02 PM
J. McLaughlin

Dear Bob Wood W5QCP:
Nice to see a name and call on a question.
Might you be asking about legs of 3 to 4 wavelengths on 40 meters?
Assuming that is the case, what is optimum depends on height and desired
take off angle (TOA) of the max. radiation.
Most often, three masts of a certain height are available and one
needs to deal with the limitations that result.
What are the expected heights of the masts? 73 Mac N8TT

Note that with one more mast, you will have a rhombic antenna, which is
a little better behaved and much more easy to terminate.
--
J. Mc Laughlin - Michigan USA
Home:

"Bob Wood" wrote in message
V Beam antenna question

I want to put up a 40M V Beam antenna to enhance communication in one
direction only. From the limited design information that I have

found, I am
thinking of 3/4 wavelength on each side with a horizontal separation

angle
of either 72 degrees or 120 degrees. I have seen both separation

angles
listed as optimum for maximum gain. I was wondering if anyone knew

for sure
which angle would produce the best result. Also, and actually most
important, I need to have some idea of what the feed point impedance

might
be. I can feed it with ladder line or good coax and a balun but I am

not
sure what balun to use or would it be better to use ladder line? I

sure
would appreciate any guidance on this antenna project.

Bob
W5QCP