Old January 7th 04, 05:25 PM
Doug Smith W9WI

Tony Meloche wrote:
not even exist anymore. But I listened for 90 minutes, and with the
exception of a rolling-voiced announcer making comments about the
"fantastic" station, there was no ID during that time - which is exactly

Unfortunately, in this day and age it's not unusual for U.S. stations to
ignore the rules that require an ID. (then again, as David says it's
possible they IDd in Spanish & too quickly for you to hear)

what I typically hear on Latin, South American and Carribean stations.
Nothing else in the frequency listing has an output power anywhere near
50,000W, and I doubted that I would be getting reception that strong and
clear from a 10 or 25kw station in Brazil or Venezuela (though I know
what unusually good prop can do on occasion).

You might be surprised how well a few hundred watts can do at night on a
relatively clear channel. Or a channel that's been temporarily cleared
of Northern signals by auroral conditions!

The expanded-band (1610-1700) stations use 1kw at night but cover much
of the country.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66