Old January 8th 04, 04:39 AM
Gray Shockley

Gray Shockley wrote:

Although, in 1959, "transistor" had the advantage of being "new and
exciting", not like those ole valves/tubes and things that nearly always
had a wall socket/mains line dangling from the back.

Gray

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 22:21:04 -0600, starman wrote
(in message ):

Those born in the past 30-years or so don't realize how 'magical' it was
to have a radio that could be carried in your pocket and used anywhere.
The manufacturers competed for the title of having the most transistors
in a solid state radio. It was a selling point. My first 'transistor'
(early 60's) had a shortwave band. It was the beginning of what became a
life long interest in shortwave radio.

Curiously enough, I bought a Panasonic radio (AM-FM) last week that is
actually labeled a "Two-Way Radio" (5" main and one-inch tweeter in a 3/8"
wood cabinet).

However, when ya pop the back cover it shouts out at ya (LOUDLY) "10
Transistors, ? Diodes" - the cover is back on and I don't remember how many
diodes grin).

Between my wife and me, we came out that it's prolly 40-50 years old.
Replaced the power cord and it worked. Still gotta see if tuner cleaner (the
RadioShack "Color Tuner Cleaner") will fix the very noisy volume control or
if I need to replace).

Gray Shockley
And, yes, this one was ten dollars at
one of the "Junk & Good Stuff" Stores.