Old January 8th 04, 10:14 AM
Sanjaya

"Possum" wrote...
My niece is going to work in a refugee camp in the Sudan for the next
year. There is inconsistant power supplied by generator. We are
considering the purchase of a Grundig FR200 hand crank short wave
radio for her to keep up with the outside world. Any comments on the
appropriateness of this equipment? We would also purchase a
supplemental antenna accessory. We know little or nothing about
shortwave, so any info would be appreciated. Thanks
Nanna

If I needed a muli-powered SW capable radio right at
this moment I'd get the Kaito KA008. Digital display, but
analog tuning.
It has 4 way power:
hand crank, solar, a/c adapter and batteries.
The adapter is 110v, but I think you could get converters for it,
for use in another country. Voltage in Sudan might be 220.
The solar panel, adapter and crank charge *built in* NIMH batteries.
The radio includes a soft wire antenna, but you can also get a
"roll up" one for it at a good price through the Kaito website.
This radio is on sale at Advanced Mart for $49.95
http://store.advancedmart.com/kakaamfmswdy.html
Their regular price is $49.95.
I've never ordered from them but have had excellent service
from other Yahoo stores.
At Kaito, the same radio costs $59.99
http://www.kaitousa.com/KA007D.htm