Old January 9th 04, 11:33 PM
DeWayne

"kiebassa 20" wrote in message
groups.com...

Some ham-op in the neighborhood passed away in 97.

Some months later I met his wife, who was putting
out large folded boxes on the curb the night before
trash night. Slammed on the brakes, backed up into
the driveway and offered to help her "clean out".

She accepted and was glad to get rid of "..all that radio
crap" her husband had filled 1/2 of their basement with.
(She was moving to Florida to live with her relatives
and had to clean out the house as it was sold, she also
didn't care much for her deceased hubby's 'radio
hobby' as she said he would "..tear into the telephone
with his big antenna and wreck TV reception unil
he sprang for cable."

From this chance evening encounter, I scored a Drake SW-8,
one Drake TR4-C's w/speakers, a Kenwood 850,
two Hammerlund HQ-170A's one Clipperton-L
Linear, a nickle-plated Vibroplex Bug and 5 crates of
radio tubes & parts........all for **no charge** except
muscle work and hoisting into my Ford P/U.
(plus a triband beam antenna and tower a week later)

Needless 2 say, I was a very, very, very, happy camper. ; )

And of course you sold the equipment and gave the widow half the money.

DeWayne