Old January 10th 04, 02:32 PM
Volker Tonn

Sanjaya schrieb:

That got me wondering what you consider to be
your "steal of a lifetime". The recent amazon.com
pricing of $150 for the Sony SW-07 comes to mind.

What did you purchase for a great price, or even get
free?

4 weeks ago I got an IC-PCR1000 with a minor fault on the connector of
the diskriminator output in addition with a discone antenna for EUR 152
shipping included.
The antenna itself sells for EUR 95 new and I gave the antenna away for
EUR 25 plus shipping to another lucky guy as I already had another very
good discone antenna. So I have the PCR1000 for EUR 127 wich is a steal
for this thing. I had a PCR1000 back in 1998/99 but I "killed" the
HF-board when i tried to modify the 2nd IF-stage.... :-(
Got a NRD-525 then in ugly condition because it sat on the shelf in the
livingroom of a smoker and was never used or even touched for years. But
I got it for DM 300 (EUR 154). This was a _r_e_a_l_(!) steal. I gave
this thing a full bath in propylene alcohol and after that it looks and
works like new. I added a MuRata CFJ-K13 (2,4khz) on the AUX and a
CFJ-K8 (1.3khz) on the NARROW position. I replaced the FL2 with a
CFW-455HT (6khz) and shielded the FL1 arrangement. This gave a very
noticeable improvement to the 525.
Lucky as I am I was offered USD100 to ship the spare RF-board (european
version) of the PCR1000 to the US. At the same time I was offered the
RS-232-board to remote control the NRD-525 -I was looking for- from
another guy in the US for USD100.
So I hardly need to touch the knobs on my 525 :-) I have it working in
my basement apartment with an FD-antenna in the huge attic at the 6th
floor. My discone antenna is also sitting in the attic. Also a magnetic
loop antenna with the capacitor driven by remote control. Having a bunch
of cables running through an old chimney wich is out of use from my
apartment to the attic.

Best regards from Berlin/Germany,
Volker