Old January 11th 04, 12:26 PM
RHF

N8KDV,

If my formatting caused some offence, I apologize.
(It was not intended to be a quiz.)

What I was seeking was any 'insight' that you have gained by
using these two "Low Noise" Random Wire Antennas.

Plus any unique directional and/or non-directional properties
these two "Low Noise" Random Wire Antennas 'exhibit' over the
Frequency Range from 500 kHz to 30 MHz.
(Medium Wave to Shortwave)

Also, I do not know how to describe these two "Low Noise"
Random Wire Antennas.

* They are not High UP in the Air.

* They are not Laying ON the Ground.

* They are actually not NEAR the Ground.

I would say that they are best described as an On-the-Fence Antenna:
Without the Fence, and if the Fence was a High 9 Ft. Tall Fence.)
[TALL CORN] -or- [STEP LADDER HIGH] -or- [ELEPHANT'S EYE]

? Did you try these Antennas at a lower height before settling on 9 Ft ?

? WHY - Nine Feet High ?

=R= (My Reply) See additional Comments that are 'inserted'
in to the body of your prior Message.

iane ~ RHF
= = = I Ain't No Elmer
(I am simply trying to Learn about SWL Antennas and Share the Knowledge.)
..
..
= = = N8KDV
= = = wrote in message ...
RHF wrote:

N8KDV,

Other then the fact that these two Antennas are basically
a "Low Noise Design" (LND) Random Wire Antenna:
GoTo= http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/pics.htm
* Wire Antenna Element (AE)
* Matching Transformer (MT)
* Grounding Point 'located' at the AE & MT Junction
* Coax Cable Lead-in-Line

QUESTION #1: How would you further Sub-Catagorize your Antennas ?

Seventy Foot LND Antenna:
[ ] Just-a-Basic 70 Ft. Low Noise Design Random Wire Antenna
[ ] Ground Effect {NVIS} 70 Ft. and Low Noise Design Random Wire Antenna
[ ] 20 Meter Band and above Long Wire Antenna that incorporates
the Low Noise Design Antenna Concepts of John Doty
GoTo=

=R= My Assumptions A At about 20 Meters the 70 Ft. length would
be about One Wave Length long. I would seem to me that due to the
low height of this Antenna; it would be non-directional below 20
Meters. Then above 20 Meters this Antenna would be greater then
one wave length and might show some specific directional properties.

? Can you Comment and Share what your actual use of this 70 Ft.
Low Noise Random Wire Antenna has shown your ?

Went back and re-read this and figured I had a question.
What makes you think this is a 20 meter and above antenna?
Also, I'm afraid to point out that the design pre-dates the
John Doty concept. (as far as I know).

=R= Like Henry Ford and the Wright Brothers, it often who ends up
popularizing the item or concept that gets the headlines & credit;
and not necessarily the individuals who contribute to the creative
ideals and hard work that were the basis of the concept.
(Live is not always fair.)

http://www.anarc.org/naswa/badx/ante...e_antenna.html

Two Hundred Foot LND Antenna:
[ ] Just-a-Basic 200 Ft. Low Noise Design Random Wire Antenna
[ ] Ground Effect {NVIS} 200 Ft. and Low Noise Design Random Wire Antenna
[ ] 60 Meter Band and above Long Wire Antenna that incorporates
the Low Noise Design Antenna Concepts of John Doty
GoTo=

=R= My Assumptions A At about 60 Meters the 200 Ft. length would
be about One Wave Length long. I would seem to me that due to the
low height of this Antenna; it would be non-directional below 60
Meters. Then above 60 Meters this Antenna would be greater then
one wave length and might show some specific directional properties.

? Can you Comment and Share what your actual use of this 70 Ft.
Low Noise Random Wire Antenna has shown your ?

Works good below 60 meters too, also on MW, as does the 70',
see also my design concept note above.

I thank John Bryant and Nick Hall-Patch for publishing the matching
transformer concept, and the general antenna design in the 1988
issue of Proceedings, put out by the Fine Tuning radio group.

=R= Something to remember.

http://www.anarc.org/naswa/badx/ante...e_antenna.html

QUESTION #2: Do you still 'offer' For Sale your
"N8KDV" Ten-to-One (10:1) Matching Transformer ?
GoTo= http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/xfmr.htm

iane ~ RHF
.
.
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antennas and AM & FM Antennas eGroup at YAHOO !
.
.
= = = N8KDV
= = = wrote in message ...

Brian Hill wrote:

Hi Steve. How did you come up with that ant. on your website.
It seems to work good.
Brian

Nothing much to the antennas, they are simply 70' and a 200'
wires mounted about 9' above the ground.

I use matching transformers into coax, and the coax is buried,
then heading into the house.

The shot is from the end of the 100' wire, before I lengthened
it to 200'.

They seem to work OK, and this is the type of antenna I've been
using since about 1988 or so.

I plan on putting up a inverted vee for at least the 60 meter
band this coming summer.

Steve
Holland, MI
Drake R7, R8 and R8B