Old January 11th 04, 05:37 PM
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

In article , starman wrote:
I guess it would have to be my Hallicrafters-S20R 'Sky Champion'. I
bought it for $15 decades ago. I used that radio more than any other
I've owned since then, which is quite a few radios.

Mine would have to be two: A Nordmende transistorized shorwave radio
someone smashed and tossed in the trash. I found it and it still worked,
thogh I never could put it back together again. I used it from about
the time I was 11 years old until...

When I was around 17 (1970) someone gave me a Hallicrafters S38B. I did
some "upgrades" to it, adding an isolation transformer, a "hack" to replace
the dial cord, and an early silicon diode noise limiter. Lasted until
I purchased my first "modern" receiver, a Sony ICF-7600 around 1985.

I gave the S38B to a friend of friend who wanted it for listening to the
BBC.

Since then I've owned and sold many receivers, too.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson 972-54-608-069
Icq/AIM Uin: 2661079 MSN IM: