Old January 14th 04, 03:18 AM
phil :)

hi Eric:

the 1000' antenna was untuned, very capable of obsorbing MW energy,
directional, and aimed at a powerful MW station. the R8B/R75 both
overloaded: too much first mixer energy. the R8500 did better due to its LW
BPF (100-500 kHz) and relays (vs PIN diodes). however, for NDBs a $50
homebrew LW loop, being tuned and directional [rotateable], reduces IP3
demands... any tabletop will suffice.

AFA ICOM, i care little. their errors were our gain: users get a $1050
radio for $450 and Kiwa fixes it for $80. if it were perfect i would not
have created three mods and done five. i have 5 MW radios and often use a
portable. my limiting factors are external MW band noise [~10 dBuV at 1
MHz] and antenna related. i do look forward to Pete's MW receiver.

regards,
phil