Old January 14th 04, 12:33 PM
starman

Alan J Giddings wrote:

Hello,
Can anyone offer me a little advice on the grouding of my SW
receivers? I have a couple old Soviet SW radios, a Sony SW77, Sangean
ATS909 and a new Degen 1102. I want to make a ground that will work
well with any of these receivers. What material is best? Copper,
Iron, Steel etc? A rod or plate? What is the best type of cable to
use as a lead-in to the receiver? Is there an ideal length?
Depending on where the radio will be the lenght could be anything from
5ft to 30ft. Any advice is much appreciated.
Thanks,
Alan

First, you need to understand the difference between a ground for
protecting against power surges or lightning and a ground intended for
lowering the noise level at the receiver. The first kind is easy to do.
You just run a fairly heavy wire (#12) from the receiver chassis to the
nearest earth ground, which can be a cold water pipe (if it's all metal
plumbing) or a ground rod outside the house. Also use a surge protector
for the receiver's power supply. Ground the protector to the same earth
ground for the receiver.
The second kind of ground is called an RF ground. This helps to reduce
noise on the antenna system from sources in your house like televisions,
computers and other applicances. This is harder to do well. I suggest
you look at the following website for more information on building a low
noise antenna system. Good luck.

http://www.anarc.org/naswa/badx/ante...e_antenna.html