Old June 27th 04, 02:58 PM
AA

BPL comes into your house at the power company service box. Even if you don
not connect to it.

FACT: The Cedar Rapids deployment has a WLAN link from the pole. The wires
carry the 2-80 MHz. How does that go from 2-80 MHz --into-- the house?

Umm..."rf propagation"?? I thought you designed antennas...you don't know
THIS?

It creates S9++ signals from 2 to 80 MHz.

FACT: Sure, if you drive your 1972 Nova with 'HAM ON BOARD' sticker (for
example) under the power line, this is a consistently true statement.
Otherwise, there are some, few, circumstances in which an unacceptabel (pun
and sic intended) level of 'hash'

Hmmm...ok, this is for "rural internet access." "Looking out the window, what
do I see? A POWER POLE!!" Oh, 50ft away or so from the house. Hmmm...BPL at
50ft....??!!?? (Oh, and the car is a T5 Volvo...5 spd manual, of course...no
stickers...just speed & style)

Based on assumption, the number of hams affected nation wide is
in the hundreds.

Of thousands? Last time I checked, most houses had powerlines SOMEWHERE in the
general vicinity.

FACT: Sure, if very nearby and unfiltered, this could be a problem. However,
the FCC rules require filtering for RFI mitigation in such circumstances.

See above. Ever tried to get the bloody power companies to fix an arcing
insulator??

FACT: A vocal minority of hams want to 'kill BPL'. As opposed to working
with
the power companies to fix the problem.

Hmm...Germany and Japan are a "vocal minority?" Both tried it, and discarded
it due to interference. THAT "fixed it," but good.

WLAN (mebbe 5.6 ghz or so? W/a cable feed?) is a good idea, tho. PLC is not.
Duke Power (Duke Energy) is working on some trials.....I unwittingly drove thru
one neighborhood w/PLC and later realized that I had done so....interference
ranges from S5 to S9+ on my mobile. The houses are not much farther away from
the PL than my mobile. Empirical data says that interference would be present
there, also. I had shut off the mobile as I wished to save my ears. Thought
something had started arcing nearby. Heh...and just wait 'til the sunspot
cycle starts back upwards....