Old January 17th 04, 06:25 AM
phil :)

hi Eric:

i am responding here as my reader ate the thread...

Quite true, but that's not what you said -- you said it was
"resonant." A nit-pick, perhaps,

at 3/4 wavelenghts resonance is at 736-kHz. as a 2 wavelengths beverage:
1.9-MHz. your antenna is quite capable on MW.

but you misrepresented several things I had said and done
in that message, and I do not take kindly to that.

i appologize. do a search for "if you can't afford a real radio".

As for the "flamethrower" at the end of the wire, they are in
violation of 47 CFR 22.369, which explicitly lays out the field
strength limits on Table Mountain. They may get grandfathered in, but
now that the feds are reopening Table Mountain for NIST projects, the
local HDTV wannabes are chafing at the restrictions -- even though
their antennas would be about 40 miles away.

what frequency are they on?

But at very different signal strenghts and with very different
characteristics: The R8B overloaded abruptly -- switching in a 1 dB
step was enough to have it operating normally or overloaded. The R75,
by contrast, had this "mushy" signal strength area.

neither radio is an IP3 god. a portable with LW loop will outperform a
radio hooked to a wire requiring 40+ dB attenuation.

Yes, but mostly I'm interested in the results of the design. Not that
I'm not interested in the design, but the implementation is what made
the '8500 immune to such things.

radios are black boxes: feed them signals within specs and they perform
predictably. ICOM probably left off the LW BPF to save $1. companies are
cheap.

Well, if I rejoin the group that works out there and set up a loop,
I'll see if I can pick up the DFW OMs as cleanly as I could with the
wire.

Then I'll use my homebrew phaser with a loop and the wire. Probably
Pete's loop.

I still think you think you got more than you really did. Just out of
curiosity, is that $1050 the original price of the R75? It was pretty
high when it came out.

WRTH 2000 states $1040. i know what the R75 is and is not. i am lucky to
have Pete as a mentor. if you gain access to that antenna try your RX340
and bring along a 7030 owner.

I do as well and will probably get one as soon as they're available.

Pete's radio is going to be sweet!

regards,
phil