Old January 17th 04, 03:03 PM
N8KDV

"Eric F. Richards" wrote:

"phil " wrote:

hi Eric:

i am responding here as my reader ate the thread...

Quite true, but that's not what you said -- you said it was
"resonant." A nit-pick, perhaps,

at 3/4 wavelenghts resonance is at 736-kHz. as a 2 wavelengths beverage:
1.9-MHz. your antenna is quite capable on MW.

Oh, I don't argue *that*, I just argue that it wasn't resonant.

Not that it matters, really, my WR-G303i reports its signal strength
as 30 mV 120 miles away on a 400 foot wire broadside to the antenna.
Flamethrower, indeed.

As for the "flamethrower" at the end of the wire, they are in
violation of 47 CFR 22.369, which explicitly lays out the field
strength limits on Table Mountain. They may get grandfathered in, but
now that the feds are reopening Table Mountain for NIST projects, the
local HDTV wannabes are chafing at the restrictions -- even though
their antennas would be about 40 miles away.

what frequency are they on?

Dunno. I don't keep up with the local doings of the broadcasters
much. I assume they are in the old standard TV UHF band; 47 CFR 369
says that from 470 to 890 MHz, field strength on Table Mountain must
be less than 30 mV/m.

radios are black boxes: feed them signals within specs and they perform
predictably. ICOM probably left off the LW BPF to save $1. companies are
cheap.

Actually I got word from someone who said that the '75 was considered
a work in progress that never progressed.

That's an understatement if I ever heard one!

i know what the R75 is and is not.

Then all I ask is that you remember that when you brag on it. Good
bargain? definitely. Ultimate radio? No.

i am lucky to
have Pete as a mentor.

That you are. I wish I was fluent enough in electronics to be able to
speak the same language as Pete.

if you gain access to that antenna try your RX340
and bring along a 7030 owner.

No radio is perfect; the '7030 wouldn't hold up out there... To me
the question would be whether or not the '340 would.

Eric

--
Eric F. Richards,
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- J. R. Pierce, Bell Labs, c. 1940