Old January 18th 04, 04:40 AM
Howard

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 21:12:26 -0600, Dan P.
wrote:

On 18 Jan 2004 02:54:47 GMT, lex (Nobody You Know)

I guess I'm concerned about the wire that's inside my listening
room....it's not attached to anything but is it a lightening magnet in
the event of a storm? Could I get an electrical discharge inside my
house from the 20 feet of wire that is stretched outside?

While NOTHING can stop a direct lightning hit, dangling the indoor end of your
antenna inside a thick glass jar should allow static discharge spitzensparken
to be harmlessly expended.

Thanks for the replies....that will hold me till next weekend when I
figure out how to properly ground my rig and determine the right wire
length for the Radio Shack antenna. We're expecting some rain tonite
so I think I'll just wrap the end in a plastic bag and set it outside
my window. The 20 foot speaker wire does work great....maybe that
will be a better solution than the long bare copper wire from Radio
Shack. BTW, I thought I hit money earlier tonite when I heard Radio
Vietnam come in clear as a bell......then I found out its a relay out
of Canada :-(
---------------

Remove 24 to reply.

My recommendation would be to ground the antenna and not the radio.
String a wire, connect the center conductor of coaxial cable to the
antenna and the braid to ground then route the coax indoors to your
radio. Use a 1/8 inch phone plug with the center conductor to the pin
and the braid to the 'ground'.

Don't be too dismayed about only hearing the relay station - use of a
relay station is not uncommon and as time moves on you'll capture your
fair share of stations that do come from the 'country of origin'.

Howard