Old January 18th 04, 10:20 PM
starman

Howard wrote:

DX,
While not a boatanchor owner I will share what I found when needing an
external speaker for an R75 (yes, with an R75 an external speaker is a
MUST). Tried a 4" RatShack widerange speaker (Optimus XTS 3, 7 watt
max) and it was okay; definitely enough powerr to drive and it gave
sufficient volume & clarity, mostly mid-range with moderately more
bass response than treble. Then for kicks hooked to a KLH 911 (5 inch
woofer, 1 inch tweeter, 100 watt max) and WOW! Yes, the speaker is
capable of handling much more power than the R75 offers but there was
sufficient power to drive it without having to crank up the audio.
The sound clarity was greatly improved and unless the bands are really
noisy most folks who hear it don't realize they're listening to
shortwave - "Naah, it sounds to good to come from far away" 8-} Do
keep in mind that the answer to this will vary depending on the
speaker; some just plain like to "suck watts" in order to get their
cones moving.

Has anyone found a good replacement speaker for the OEM one in the R75?
What size is the original one?