Old January 19th 04, 04:56 AM
Tony Meloche

Current_gothic wrote:

Just think what if this actually happened

well what i mean is maybe a airplane sent off a message over
shortwave radio lets say back in 1940 and maybe just now from 1990
on to 2004 maybe u heard the message over ur radio

would like to hear your input

thanks

Well, I don't think you're a nutcase, but I do think that what is
known of RF waves, and the laws of physics *so far as we understand them
yet*, the odds are *heavily* against something like that happening.

RF waves of all kinds (some more than others, of course) penetrate
the ionosphere and continue out in to space "forever" (in theory).
Short wave frequencies largely bounce off the ionosphere when conditions
are good, but some of them get through - all the time. Now, it is
theoretically possible for a wave to strike a face of an asteroid (for
example) in exactly the right way to be bounced back toward earth and
"re-received", although I think the chances of that make your chances of
winning the lottery look like child's play. Complicating it is the fact
that unless I'm mistaken, the "escaped" RF wave becomes progressively
weaker all the time - and the "bounce" wouldn't help that. To receive
something transmitted during WW II for example, that RF wave would have
traveled outward for 30 years before being bounced back. That's what I
mean by it is *theoretically* possible, but the chances of it are
astronomically small (no pun intended).

That said, here's a possible other side of the coin: I DO remember
reading, about five years ago, a journal article about "unexplained
phenomena". I apologize for the sketchiness of the details, but it has
been years, as I said.
Supposedly it was cross-verified by several sources: A TV station in
England received about 22 minutes of very snowy transmission of an old,
American broadcast out of nowhere. It was traced to a local TV show
from the 1950's in some American city. The show had not been filmed or
vieotaped (this was before videotape) and it had not been kinescoped,
either. Old program logs traced it to the actual day it had aired. It
lasted about 22 minutes and quickly faded
This was in 1976 or thereabouts - more than two decades after the
broadcast. It has never been explained. I wish I could remember where I
read that, but it was NOT a "National Enquirer" or "Weekly World News"
story - it was an article about such things (and there are plenty of
them). It doesn't mean "aliens", it doesn't
mean "spooks", it just means we don't understand some things yet.

Tony