Old June 25th 04, 04:29 PM
Jimmie

wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 17:38:26 GMT, "Jimmie" Gfender@carolina
dot.rr.dot com wrote:

My only problem with J antennas is WHY. I can more easily build a 5/8.

What your really asking is why a half wave vs a 5/8ths?

The best answer I can give is a 5/8ths REQUIRES a groundplane to
work at all correctly and that makes it more metal and complication.
Yes the 5/8ths offers _some_ additional gain but for simplicity the
end fed dipoles (all the J varients) do not require a ground plane and
are more compact in general shape making them a better candiate
for steath or portable ops.

Seriously if I were going for more gain than the OSJ the antenna would
be a 4 bay dipole for the same reasons. Rugged, simple, excellent
gain and good radiation pattern. The 5/8ths does not offer enough
gain increase to make it worth the effort when a 5.6db colinear or 4
day dipole offers significantly more.

Allison
KB!GMX

Funny, I dont remember saying anything about gain. For me 5/8 are just
easier to build and tune.