Old June 27th 04, 12:49 AM
KLØS

Here's my note to the media assistant....probably won't do much good but I
feel better anyway.

73 - Dino KLØS/4

-----------
As a licensed amateur radio operator, FCC call sign KL0S, I am very
concerned with the spectrum pollution (interference) associated with the new
broadband over power line technology the FCC is considering for approval for
use by the power line industry.

As a retired U.S. Army officer I have had extensive experience in radio
communications operations under active electronic warfare conditions and
many of the those experiences mirror the noise conditions that will
potentially be generated by the BPL initiative.

The industry plans to use a form of power line carrier (PLC) technology
using existing low and medium-voltage power lines to deliver broadband
(internet) services to homes and businesses. It uses frequencies between 2
MHz and 80 MHz; and ARRL laboratory and in field tests have documented that
BPL causes interference (spectrum pollution) to HF and low-VHF frequencies
currently in use by the Government (Department of Defense and Homeland
Security), law enforcement agencies, amateur radio and commercial
businesses. Further, the current BPL technology itself may be susceptible
to transmissions from other existing services.

To appreciate the level of interference, please visit the ARRL web page at
[http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2003/08/08/2/?nc=1] and listen to the BPL
interference recorded from one of the FCC test sites. As I mentioned the
noise portrayed eerily matches that encountered during electronic warfare
conditions. Contrary to power industry claims, the ARRL tests convinced me
the current BPL technology will generate major
interference to existing services, including amateur radio, public service
and and potentially other Homeland Security communications activities such
as those conducted under the MARS AND SHARES programs. The ARRL President,
Mr. Jim Haynie is prepared to provide the FCC with more details. He can be
reached at 214-366-9400 or

Regarding the FCC Notice of Inquiry, I recommend tightening of the FCC Part
15 requirements and/or standards for power line carrier (PLC) devices to
assure they will not cause interference (or be susceptible from) to existing
services. In addition, I would appreciate documentation from the FCC that
adequate testing has been performed to assure broadband over power line
technology will not cause interference to existing services. Hopefully, this
testing will be well documented and made public before the technology is
approved for use by the power line industry.

I recently had occasion to work with my local power provider, Dominion
Virginia Power on a power distribution system generated incidental radiator
that caused significant noise at my home. The power company worked
expeditiously to find and resolve the problem, however I can only imagine
the magnitude of the problems that potentially will be initiated by BPL type
incidental radiation levels. With only that small problem (a faulty
underground cable splice) my ability to communicate was severely degraded,
much to the same degree as discovered by the ARRL in their fact finding
mission mentioned above.

All communicators, both professional and amateur sincerely hope the power
line industry discovers a technical solution to the BPL interference issue
so we can all enjoy the benefits of having broadband internet to our home
via power lines.

Constantine T. Papas
Colonel United States Army Retired