Old January 24th 04, 11:46 PM
Ray D. O'Mann

(Ray D. O'Mann) wrote in message . com...
Hi Folks!
Dumb Question #1: How can I test vacuum tubes without a tube tester?
Namely, 6AK6, 6BE6, 6HR6, and 12AX7.

Dumb Question #2: Is there a solid-state equivalent to these tubes?
They are from an old Knight Star Roamer that keeps dying.

Dumb Question #3: Is the above worth doing?

Thanks for your help.~~Ray

Hi All!
Thanks a bunch for the tips, tricks, and advice. It is VERY
appreciated. Everything always tests OK out of circuit and I've been a
bit reluctant to do the in-circuit testing since all I have is a DMM.
The shop where I was testing my tubes now charges a fee for using
their tester. With everything that you all have posted for me, I
believe I can get it to work right. I hope. To answer some of your
questions, it just quits. I test the tubes, then I check the caps,
diodes, connections, etc., plug it back in and it works for a day or
two and then quits. Any thoughts?~~Ray