Old January 25th 04, 12:04 AM
Stephan Grossklass

Bugrunner schrieb:

I am interested in getting into SW and have been looking at the various
receivers out there. I would like to stay in the 150.00 price range,

150.00 what? US$, EUR, AUD, CAN$, beans, apples, oranges, ...?

and
have found 3 radios that seem similar in function. I would appreciate any
input to help with my decision. I am thinking about the Grundig YB400PE,
Sony ICF-SW7600GR or the Sangean ATS-505P.

The Sangean is targeted a bit below the first two; it apparently doesn't
have as good selectivity (though rather good sensitivity and good
battery life), and some users have commented on the tuning knob having a
cheap feel to it.

The distance between the other two is smaller (either of them would make
a good choice), though I'd say the Sony has the edge with its synch
detection, more memories, better SSB reception and less hunger in terms
of batteries / rechargeables. (It does, however, suffer from some
imaging and doesn't have terrific selectivity on FM with the stock
filters.) Should be quite well built, too.
The Grundig has been commented on as sounding better (though some people
have apparently had tinny-sounding ?lemons?, el cheapo Chinese speakers
perhaps?), and it does have selectable filters for AM (with the "wide"
filter apparently being the one used in the 7600GR, which is fine for
general listening but not perfect for SSB).

Myself, I started out with the older ICF-SW7600G, which is a fine SWL
rig except it absolutely spoiled me in terms of using presets (or
rather: not using them) - it had waaay too little of those for
shortwave. (10 for FM is okay, but 10 for LW/MW/SW... not really.)

Stephan
--
Meine Andere Seite: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 2xCel300A, 512 MiB, 18+80 GB, ATI AGP 32 MiB, 110W