Old January 26th 04, 03:38 PM
Mark Keith

(LW) wrote in message . com...
"JEFF UK" wrote ...

What would be best for my next receiving antenna.
1) A long wire , coax feed (no balun ) about 80 feet, ( earthed coax braid)
15mtrs from house.
or
2) A Long dipole, about 80 feet each side.

A good performer is an off-center fed dipole. 44 ft on one end / 22
ft on the other, fed with RG-8X coax. Being coax fed, it keeps out a
lot of the indoor electrical noise from dimmers, flourescent lights,
etc.

Not as good as a center fed though. In itself, using coax to feed does
not
always mean low noise ingress. In fact, it can be just as bad as
anything if it's not decoupled. One problem with the off center fed is
it's unbalanced. This makes it a good bit harder to decouple the
feedline. Which in turns makes it harder to reduce noise ingress. How
much this means to the user will depend on how much shack noise they
have. I'd always prefer a center fed if possible. MK