Old January 26th 04, 08:40 PM
JEFF UK

Default Baluns & Long Wires

Hi.
Further to my last post............
This weekend i messed about with my long wire
receiving ( only ) antenna.
( Length 20Mtrs, coax fed , earthed 10 mtrs from house).
Yesterday i built a 9:1 balun / transformer .Placed it at my earth rod out
side.
I am not even sure if this is the right one for a long wire?
Anyway.. reception on 20 mtrs now has much less noise now.
The signal to noise ratio has vastly improved.
Reception on other bands remains about the same as before i added
the balun.
(I used my Wellbrook loop antenna to compare signals.)
My question now is...
How do improve reception/noise on other bands ?
Do i need a different balun or change the length of my wire ?
What ever i have done seems to of peaked on 20mts ( 14Mhz).
It would be great to get rid of the noise on 80mtrs for example.
Any ideas or diagrams appreciated.
Interesting stuff this !
Regards
Jeff