Old January 26th 04, 10:31 PM
CW

The true Windom is not a dipole of any type. It is an off center fed T. It
is not balanced and requires a ground system.

"RHF" wrote in message
om...
LW,

Windom -vice- Dipole which is the better SWL Antenna ? ? ?

FWIW: Think of the WINDOM Antenna as an OFF-Center (36%/64%) Feed
Dipole that is more Broad Banded (not as frequency specific and
resonant) and more omni-directional (not as bi-directional) as the
common dipole antenna.

IMHO: For a SWL Antenna the WINDOM Antenna is the better "All
Band" "All Directions" antenna choice over the common dipole antenna.

CHECK-OUT - The SWL Terminated-Folded-Windom "TFW" Antenna
(Low Noise) using a 300 Ohm Twin-Lead or 450 Ohm Ladder-Line
and a Matching Transformer with Coax Cable Lead-in-Line.
TFW-Antenna= http://tinyurl.com/3ff7g

CHECK-OUT - Double LL Windom Type [Low Noise] SWL Antenna -
NOTE: Not a True Windom but more like Two Oposed Inverted L Antennas.
Double-LL-Antenna= http://tinyurl.com/26h2t

CHECK-OUT - Dual Element Low Noise SWL Antenna MLB Type:
Dual Element (Inverted "L" and Horizontal) Multi-Wire Low Noise
SWL Antenna using a Matching Transformer (Magnetic Longwire Balun)
with a Coax Cable Lead-in-Line.
Dual-Element-Antenna= http://tinyurl.com/2yo3q

iane ~ RHF
.
Some Say: On A Clear Day You Can See Forever.
I BELIEVE: On A Clear Night... You Can Hear Forever and Beyond !
.
.
= = = (LW)
= = = wrote in message

. com...

"JEFF UK" wrote ...

What would be best for my next receiving antenna.
1) A long wire , coax feed (no balun ) about 80 feet,
( earthed coax braid)
15mtrs from house.
or
2) A Long dipole, about 80 feet each side.

A good performer is an off-center fed dipole. 44 ft on one end /
22 ft on the other, fed with RG-8X coax. Being coax fed, it keeps
out a lot of the indoor electrical noise from dimmers, flourescent
lights, etc. Grove sells this antenna as the "Skywire". I've also
used a 66 ft / 33 ft variation of this with very good results.
The higher the better.

A passive tuener or passive preselector might be a good accessory
with this antenna.

(Disclaimer - an antenna of this type and size *might* overload
some portable radios.)

.