Old January 30th 04, 12:41 AM
tommyknocker

WShoots1 wrote:

Frank D: One example was Crosley's transmitter in Bethany, Ohio.

The only Ohio station listed in my booklet is W8XAL in Cincinatti, on daily
from 5-6 am PST on 6.06 MHz, and from 6-9 pm, same freq. Interestingly, during
the 7-9 pm slot, W3XAU in Philly was also on the same freq.

Note that these are *amateur* callsigns, not standard (commercial) four
letter signs. These stations were likely legally considered on the same
level as hams with fleawatt tx's because there was no provisions in
federal law to license commercial stations on SW-the "domestic
broadcasting" ban that's been talked about so much in this group.

W6XKG was on 24/7 on 25.95 MHz. From what I can tell, no station in the world
shifted frequencies. I guess they were one transmitter, one antenna (and one
crystal G) stations back then.

Over the years I've seen articles on old SW transmitters, as well as
looked at some tube era ham level SW tx's. It seems that ALL SW tx's
were crystal controlled until the 1960s, when transistorization made
tunable transmitters possible. A lot of these Third World stations that
stay on the same freq for decades, and whose transmitters can be tracked
from owner to owner by freq usage, are one crystal setups. I suspect
that the crystals in these tx's were (and are) sort of hardwired in like
the early tube computers had one "program" that could only be changed by
rewiring.