Old July 13th 03, 04:40 PM
Floyd Davidson

(Richard Harrison) wrote:
Floyd Davidson wrote:
"Did you actually do very many?"

I`ve done single-hops, several-hop systems, and transcontinental
systems. I`ve done them on-shore, off-shore, and in a multi-hop loop
system on-shore and off-shore. I`ve done several systems with paths
sandwiched between tall buildings. I`ve done 960 radio, 2-GHz, and 6-GHz
systems. I`ve done space-diversity systems, hot-standby, and unprotected
systems. I`ve done solid-state systems, vacuum-tube systems, etc., etc.

I have no reason to say anything which is untrue. Floyd knows of an
anomalous hop in the desert. The path suffers reflections, else it would
not have great variation of signal with height. I know of many anomalous
systems, but I never built one. All of mine worked as designed.

As I pointed out, that was the most _interesting_ example that I
know of.

However, you've just stated something that I can't quite get my
arms around. "All of mine worked as designed." is stated as if
the "anomalous systems" that have a path which "suffers
reflections" are somehow not common, or not well designed, or
not normal.

Yet you mentioned "on shore" and "off shore" each twice above,
and I'm having a real difficult time thinking you've ever
designed a microwave shot across tidal waters without having
"reflections" which could not specifically be calculated. And
there is simply no way that it "worked as designed" unless you
mean you just allowed for a large enough fudge factor to account
for signal swings from day to day. The original claim that they
*all* came in within 1 dB is just hilarious.

My bet is that you have hung around and do know how these paths
function over time, and I'll bet you just exaggerated a little,
that's all.

--
Floyd L. Davidson http://web.newsguy.com/floyd_davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)