Old August 17th 03, 06:15 PM
Dr. Slick

Roy Lewallen wrote in message ...

There's no problem with the reflection coefficient having any angle in
any of the four quadrants. However, I've frankly had trouble getting
around the notion of the magnitude of the reflection coefficient being
greater than one with a passive load. I know it sometimes happens with
active loads, and there are even Smith chart techniques to deal with it.
You'll find discussions of it in texts on microwave circuit design.

[s11]**2 + [s21]**2 = 1

For a lossless passive two port network, where the brackets
indicate magnitude only.

If you find a passive network that reflects more voltage than it
receives, let us all know about your free energy device.

I'd really like to hear from some of the folks who deal more frequently
with reflection coefficient than I do, to see if I'm on the right track,
or if there is some consideration that requires modification of the
equation for very lossy lines. I've got quite a few references that deal
with reflection coefficient. They all give the same formula without
qualifications, but none mentions the possibility of the magnitude
becoming greater than one.

Reflection coefficients greater than unity, which go outside the
Smith, only happen with active devices, as you have mentioned above.
Stability circles are a related topic, as their centers are often
based outside the unity RC circle.

Slick