Old February 7th 04, 05:12 AM
starman

Tom Sevart wrote:

"William Mutch" wrote in message
ell.edu...

Perhaps I use the wrong term. On our 2010, when you manually scan
with the tuning knob at either fast or slow rate the gain goes way down
for a few milliseconds and then comes back up with a loud enough plop to
obscure any signal on the new frequency for another few milliseconds.
This means that unless you scan very slowly to allow sufficient recovery
time you can't hear anything. The 2010 is a great RCVR when you key
stroke the frequency, but doesn't manually scan worth crap. Is this
just *our* 2010 or is the problem generic ??

Nope, that's a good explanation of what "chuffing" is. But I don't have
that problem with mine, I can tune straight through a frequency range using
the knob and don't have any problem hearing signals. I will admit that it's
slightly noticable when tuning across strong signals, but it's not bad
enough to be a problem.

Anyone else have a problem with chuffing on the 2010?

Compared to some other portables I've used, the chuffing on the '2010'
is really not an issue. I used to do a lot of bandscanning with the
tuning knob on my '2010' and seldom found the chuffing to be annoying.
However I have heard that some examples of the '2010' do chuff more than
others. I'm not sure if this is related to the production date. Mine was
made in 1991.