Old February 8th 04, 12:38 AM
Frank Dresser

"Beloved Leader" wrote in message
om...

[snip]

at least, that's the way parts used to be numbered. It's been nearly a
decade since I bought Ford parts, so if things have changed since
then, I wouldn't know.

It could be the case that the same model radio used in a 1985 Escort
would fit a 1191 Escort. Or, it could be the case that the radio from
a 1997 could be retrofitted into a 1991. I don't follow Escorts, so I
don't know. Again, the parts counter could tell you that. I always
listened to the guys (OK, persons) at the parts counter. They can be
miracle workers.

Best wishes.

Everything you say is correct, but I think the most practical way to
pick a car radio at a junkyard is to take it in and match the mountings
and wire connectors with the original radio.

Getting the original radio out of the car might be harder than finding a
match. If getting the radio out doesn't seem obvious, check the public
library for a book with a blow up diagram of the dash area. Nearly
every public library has auto service literature.

It might be wise to change the dial light bulbs while the radio is out.
Ford used bulbs to illuminate the backside of the LCD display back then.

Checking Ford's part number for the year is a good tip. I don't
remember the exact year the AM extended band was approved, but I think
it was around 93 or so. So Ford's part number for a 93 radio would
start with F3.

Last time I bought a car radio with a tape player at a junkyard it was
$15. Could be anything nowdays.

Be sure you can exchange the radio or get your money back if it doesn't
do what you want it to do.

Frank Dresser