Old February 10th 04, 06:01 AM
starman

T wrote:

Hi,
Our '91 escort's digital AM tuner won't go above 1600khz. Is there a
way to make it to tune above 1600khz?

Thanks for any help.

You have a digitally tuned radio in the '91-Escort. The tuning range is
programmed into the ROM chip for the synthesizer circuit. There is no
way to change the programming unless you replaced the factory ROM chip
with a custom EPROM that was programmed to tune above 1600-Khz. This is
not a practical option. However I've seen the radio in a 94'-Escort and
it does tune up to 1710-Khz. I don't know when Ford made the change but
a salvage (junk) yard could tell you. It might have been '93. I'm also
not sure if the wiring harness from a newer Escort radio is compatible
with your '91. You might have to do some rewiring to make it work. Ford
changed the Escort dashboard design again in the late '90's and those
radios will not fit in your '91.