Old February 11th 04, 06:40 PM
Frank Dresser

wrote in message
Im thinking of dumping my cable TV. That will leave me with only two
local TV stations to get via an antenna.

Im considering buying a shortwave receiver that I can listen to while
doing things around the house.

Shortwave demands more listener involvement than standard AM and FM
broadcasting. The transmission schedules are shorter and the reception
isn't as depandable. Listeners have to retune their radios more
frequently.

Broadcast AM and FM and recorded music are more reliable sources for
entertainment.

Is there interesting programming available via shortwave?

Depends what's meant by interesting. There aren't any sitcoms like TV.
There's not much music like broadcast radio. International broadcast
stations oftentimes discuss world news and events and what wonderful
tourist attractions are to be found in their countries.

Most domestic US shortwave stations are dominated by low cost brokered
programming. Conspiracy theorists, evangalists, sellers of vital
doomsday supplies such as gold, water filters, and nostrums.

If you enjoyed the X-Files, you may enjoy domestic shortwave radio.

Is my idea
sound? What good receivers are worth looking at?

Don't spend alot on your first SW radio. Buy a good radio when you're
sure you'll enjoy the hobby.

Frank Dresser