Old February 11th 04, 07:49 PM
Gary

wrote in message . ..
Im thinking of dumping my cable TV. That will leave me with only two
local TV stations to get via an antenna.

Im considering buying a shortwave receiver that I can listen to while
doing things around the house.

Is there interesting programming available via shortwave? Is my idea
sound? What good receivers are worth looking at?

Well, your idea is sound allright - all sound and no picture!

There is interesting programming available via shortwave, but
reception varies throughout the day and night as well as the seasons.
Before dumping cable tv, get a shortwave receiver and see if you are
happy with it. Another alternative is satellite - not the small dish,
but the large C-band dish. There's a lot of free programming out
there. Even the small dish, i.e. Dish Network, is better than cable.
Also, with digital television now a reality, reception of many more
channels might be available with a high definition tv and tuner. I
have read that up in the mountains about 30 or 40 miles from me, where
tv reception has been impossible all these years, they now get great
reception from several digital over-the-air high definition stations,
some quite far away.