Old February 12th 04, 02:43 AM
Tom Holden

Tom Sevart wrote:
Probably a good starter receiver, but only good for
listening to AM broadcast. Not so good for utes.

Better than that by a long way. Does a fairly good job on SSB, CW and
digital modes when properly aligned. Note I said "fairly good", not "superb"
and not "poor". It is very stable - an important criterion for these modes.
However, it is not very selective at IF so has difficulty with close-in
interference. Are there any radios in its price range with much better SSB
selectivity?

Personally I'd suggest getting something else, but the
DX-394 does have a following.

It does because of price, the relatively large number sold, performance,
potential for improvement, the rewards of doing so, the fun factor, and
learning.

Tom