Old February 14th 04, 02:19 AM
Stinger

Nobody that has used it likes it, either.

My son, a college student specializing in computer networking, makes some
pretty good extra money by troubleshooting and repairing computers.

A retired couple bought their first Dell the other day, and asked my son to
help them with their ADSL installation. They got the computer out of the
box, and it wouldn't power on.

So, not wanting to violate their warranty, he called "tech support" to tell
them what was up. After a 35-minute wait, he got a tech-support guy in
India with an accent so heavy that he had serious trouble understanding him.
Then, the guy was insisting on going through his "trouble-tree," even though
he was talking to someone with multiple certifications (including A+ and
MCSE).

Finally, the Indian tech support guy realized he was in over his head, and
let a supervisor (who was actually in the states) take over. With his
permission, my son opened the case, pulled off the CPU cowling, and found
what he had suspected all along -- the P4 processor had been jammed in --
bending several pins that didn't go into the processor mount on the
motherboard. No problem, Dell shipped another new unit (but you'd think
they'd check these things before they leave the factory, wouldn't you?).

Too many short-cuts, both in support and manufacturing!

-- Stinger

"CW" wrote in message
Nobody in their right mind buys it.

"Rick KB1KIL" wrote in message

An article in Wired magazine explains how outsourcing to India is good

for
the US. I however don't buy it.